Sunday, April 01, 2007

/Reading Poetry in a Crowded Local/



I’m reading about things sublime
Symbolic imagery, the urge to rhyme
Only now do I find the time
To read: I’m in a packed train.

The smell disgusts me, the sounds irritate
But I don’t have the patience to wait
I want to learn how to alliterate
But the mob’s blabber boils my brain.

I read among this din more often than not
I can barely hold on to the book that I’ve brought
The wrongest time and place for poetic thought
To concentrate becomes a pain.

And how can it not? The people around me
Seem to be at war, their cussing surrounds me
Feet stamp me, knees jab me, elbows just pound me
I start hating this city again.

But yet I’m engrossed, page after page
It’s beautiful how art can keep you engaged
In the midst of this violence and angry rampage
And keep you peaceful and sane.

A lot of my reading, and art appreciation
A lot of my pondering, critical contemplation
A lot of my extra-academic educaion
Has happened in a crowded railway train.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well written!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice :)!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home