Sunday, October 08, 2006

Politics

[Something I wrote on April 26, 2006]

I think I've realised an important facet of my personality. I hate politics. Not the kind that goes on in Delhi, not the kind of party-hopping and manipulation that our leaders play (although I hate that too), but I'm talking of the very existence of politics in our day to day lives. I hate politics in all its forms. Maybe I don't actually hate it; maybe I just don't like it beause it seems to be the root cause of most interpersonal, intercommunal, intercaste, interreligious, international problems and arguments.

Or maybe... it's just something else. The solution to solving these problems isn't the removal and banishment of politics from the sphere of relations. I don't think it's possible to banish politics away, much less remove it entirely.

I think the trick lies in RECOGNISING the kind of politics that's in play in any sphere of relations... and once it's recognised, one can sidestep it, tolerate it, subdue it, and control it, I'd like to believe, even control it, yes.

Politics is a play of power, it is the agreement or forcible stamp of the fact that in any case, one will be the controlling factor and the other will be the controlled. Maybe this is a little too extreme a definition, but most situations can be logically boiled down to this. Politics is the interplay of power, between two parties or more, each of which wants to be more powerful and controlling the rest, and the other not wanting to allow them to do so.

I've decided to consciously attempt to reduce the politics innate in all my relationships with everyone - probably frankness, politeness, humour, and love will take its place.

I want to recognise the politics involved, and then try to negate it or make the others aware of it, and bring it out in the open so that we can consciously keep it aside and move on to more important things, like a feeling of warmth. ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home